If you’re a yarn beginner and not sure where to start, looking at the label is a great place to begin so that you can get the most out of your project. The label provides you with suggested tools, as well as washing instructions for your completed project. These are both crucial for your finished results, and the aftercare of any garment or accessory. Keep reading to see for yourself how to read your Arteza yarn labels!
- The Skein of Yarn logo with a number inside shows the weight of the yarn. Arteza’s yarn skeins are all 100% worsted and are a medium weight (4) yarn. Knowing the weight of the yarn is important for those that have a certain pattern that request a specific weight to obtain the look of the pattern.
- The squares that have a knitting needle or crochet hook in them show several important things to know about the yarn.
- Suggested size of tool needed
- The swatch size (4” x 4” or 10 cm x 10 cm)
- How many stitches/crochet and rows each tool requires for a swatch
- For knitting:17S means how many stitches / 23R means how many rows will fit within that swatch
- For crochet: 14SC means 14 single crochet for the swatch and 16R for how many rows.
- Lastly, the washing instructions for your finished soft craft. These above instructions are specific to our yarn skeins. Knowing what every symbol means is incredibly helpful, so if you’d like to know the whole system, look at the graphic below!
We hope this guide has helped you figure out how to grab the perfect yarn for your next craft! Is there anything else on your yarn labels you're unsure about and want our experts to answer? Write in the comments below!