Written By Vickie Howell for Arteza
Tassels are one of the easiest ways to use yarn to create a visually impactful home décor. Our wall-hanging is made with generously sized versions in an array of Springtime shades of Arteza worsted yarn. Make to give your space a pop of color — or even better, make several in different palettes to match every season!
100% Acrylic Yarn, Worsted, Light Colors - Mini Pack
9” wide book or piece of cardboard
24” copper pipe
11, Wooden beads
Large-eye blunt needle
1 1/2 yd rope
STEP 1: Choose yarn colors
Pick 11 of your favorite shades of yarn
STEP 2: Make 11 Tassels
- Wrap yarn around book or cardboard, 40 times.
- Cut a long strand of yarn. Slip strand under the wraps and slide to the top of the “loop” created by wrapping. Tie a firm knot. Leave long strands for hanging.
- Cut through “loops” at bottom of wraps to free the yarn from the book/board.
- Using a separate, long strand if yarn and measuring about an 1 1/2” from top, wrap yarn around all strands for about 1/2”. Tie off.
- Trip to make even.
Repeat for remaining tassels
STEP 3: Add Beads
- Slide a wooden bead over both of hanging strands, is it sits at top of tassel.
- Repeat for remaining tassels.
STEP 4: Tie Tassels to Pipe
- Tie tassels to copper pipe in an arrow formation (stair stepping them dow, 1 by one to center, and then back up.)
- Trim ties.
STEP 5: Attach Hanging Rope
- Feed rope through the copper pipe, pulling through until you have about 20” of visible ripe on both ends.
- Create hanging loop by using an over-hand knot to tie two ends of rope together about 4” down from top, then again about 1” from top.
Hang and enjoy!
About Vickie Howell
Vickie is a mom of three, an award-winning broadcaster, author, designer & entrepreneur. Over a decade and a half, through various television shows, YouTube videos, online courses, conference tours, books, and her business, YarnYAY! – she’s had the privilege of teaching hundreds of thousands of stitchers new yarn-y skills. It’s her mission to empower people to lean into creativity by making DIY totally doable! Follow @vickiehowell